A few weeks ago, I woke up with a backache. That occurred 3 or 4 times. I thought "I'm going to have to go see Jerry." (or maybe the chiropractor in Leoti) It was so bad I decided to sleep on the sofa. Next morning my back was fine. Thought - You need a new mattress! So I went and got our old one from the basement in the south house to try again. One side was soso. The other side was AWFUL. OK - I need a new mattress. Tuesday I called the store in Scott City - "How soon can you deliver a mattress?" "This afternoon - no, wait, Friday would be better because we are going to Leoti then" "Ok, I'll be over to pick one out." Halfway to Scott City, I thought that I might as well paint the bedroom before getting a new mattress. Gwen would probably help me get the mattress and box springs out to the garage; then there would just be the frame and headboard to move. I had been thinking I needed to repaint the bedroom for about four years, but I needed to sand, stain and seal the window sills and that should be done first. But ok, I'll paint. Since I was in Scott City I bought paint there. (No need to drive to Leoti 24 miles away when I was in Scott.) Gwen helped me with the mattress and boxsprings and with emptying a dresser (with a heavy mirror) of drawers and moving it away from the wall. Later I was moving other things out of the room to be ready to paint in the morning. Well, I looked at the window sills - I have sandpaper; so I started sanding. I washed the walls (Joann does this - I never do) The water was really dirty! The next day I painted. A gallon of paint JUST BARELY was enough for one coat. Of course, a second coat was needed. The next day I went to Leoti to finally go to the treasurer's office to change the title for my new (to me) vehicle. I looked at the papers that had come (finally after 25 days) with the transfer title - I had to have the Highway Patrol check the VIN number since the vehicle had come from out of state. Well, the sheriff could do it; so I went to Leoti and got that done. Then over to Scott City for more paint - couldn't get that brand in Leoti. When I got to the lumberyard, the lady that waited on me was a student of mine when I taught 6th grade at Shallow Water 39 years ago! She said the walls must have really soaked up the paint. She asked me how long it had been since the room had been painted - 16 years. Thursday I painted the room a second time, put stain on the windowsills and some other places that needed it and put on a coat of polyurethane. Then I put some furniture back. Today I washed curtains and the new mattress came. I have a really clean room. I had maybe a fifth of a gallon of paint left and a quart I had bought the first time just in case there wasn't quite enought of the first gallon for a second coat. Now I am trying to encourage myself to paint as much of the closet as I can - at least one wall. I'm sure most of you did not know that buying a new mattress entailed that much work.
2 comments:
Love the story! So true -- one thing leads to another leads to another, etc. I bet it feels really good to have those things done and fresh and clean.
By the way, where did you get the idea that I wash my walls? Only under duress do I do that, as in when Dick says we have to do it before painting! Otherwise, un-huh!
Wash the walls???? That has never occured to me. (luckily I've never lived anywhere longer than 7 years in my adult life, that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it)
Loved reading your post Aunt Ann.
Love you!!
Dana
Post a Comment