Sunday, March 29, 2009

Blizzard update

We know that many of you have been concerned for us with the blizzard forecast for last week during the heart of calving season. Actually we only had about 4-5" of snow and 30-40-mph winds with temps in the teens at night. The heavy snow was to our south and east and our hearts and prayers really go out to those cattlemen. Pratt and Coldwater areas had around 28"-that could really be devestating. Our mature cows are all on the ranch 60 miles east of home. We had put out lots of hay Thursday as I doubted we would be able to make it there on Friday so they did pretty well as they have good shelter along the creek. About 10 calves were born during the storm and we know of 2 deaths-while that is bad enough,during the night I tossed and turned imagining lots worse. Anyway we give God the credit for caring for the cattle.
Last Monday I had a broken bone in my right hand diagnosed by a surgeon in Hays. It actually ocurred March 2 when my slower reactions didn't get out of the way of a kick by a heifer that wouldn't let her calf suck. X-rays at Leoti didn't show the break but Monday the surgeon took one quick look and said "you have a broken bone and we need to put a screw in it or you can wear a cast for 12 weeks and we can see then if it has healed"-I opted for the screw and that was done on Wednesday morning. Now I am coping with a restrained right hand until the 7th-it's a hassel but with God's help and a loving and patient wife the time will pass(hope she reads this as I am short on brownie points)
Carpet is to come for the church this week. Lots of room that has been badly needed.
Pastor Bob has been preaching through Romans and today he spoke from Romans 12 1-9. I'd encourage each of you to look it up and read it -it's a great passage.
Thanks for you prayers t0 help us throgh the storm-if you want to see snow,check out Jennifer's blog the last 3 days.b

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

Heard you got more snow and wind today. Hope your babies are all safe and warm as they can be!